As an early adopter and pioneer to the mobile and device industry, I have seen it grow from its infancy from as early as 2004 to its present date height of glory. I founded a mobile company in 2006 called Hooken Mobile, which helped OEMs and partners create mobile content across a variety of different devices and form factors.
I have more than a decade in mobile design and development ranging from native to mobile web design and development, and have been working with software for the past two decades. I also happen to ♥ gadgets!
I am currently active in many forms of mobile and device development across various devices in the mobile, embedded, and consumer electronic space from my lab, CUBICAL90 at Artisan's Asylum -- one of the largest hacker/makerspaces in the world (according to engadget).
From 2005 until 2010, I ran Hooken Mobile, a mobile and device consulting firm focused on creating innovative device experiences across a variety of form factors ranging from feature phones, smartphones, tablets, internet appliances, set top boxes, SmartTVs, Portable Media Players, and other consumer electronic devices.
I've written books, tutorials, articles, and training materials around mobile development. Some of the examples are as follows (in no particular order).
- Working with Nokia Series 40 Flash Lite content Part 1: Capabilities overview, Part 2: Creating wallpaper, and Part 3: Creating a screen saver -- a trilogy of technical tutorials, I wrote for Adobe Developer Network on creating content for legacy Nokia feature phones (i.e. Series 40 devices).
- AdvancEd Flash on Devices book -- I coauthored the very first advanced book on mobile development with Flash, covering everything from Flash Lite to the latest Flash Player.
- Foundation Flash Applications for Mobile Devices book -- Over the course of several months, I coauthored more than half of the chapters of this book, which covered every facet of mobile develop of Flash on devices.
- Flash Lite Mobile Animation Tutorial Example -- I wrote this very early Flash animation tutorial targeting Flash animators who wanted to know how to optimize their content for small screen and low CPU capabilities.
- Using Accelerometer Tutorial Mobile App -- I wrote this example app, and a technical tutorial on how to tap into device APIs and sensors within Flash on the Android and iOS platform.
- My Flash Mobile and Devices Blog -- I maintained a very popular blog covering all aspects of Flash on mobile and devices from 2005 till about 2009.
- Flash Lite 1.1 Certification Writing -- as an elite member of the Adobe Mobile and Devices Learning Resources Advisory Group, I helped design and write this certification program for Flash Lite 1.1, including test questions, and all the associated R&D for code examples.
- Flash Lite 2.x Certification -- as an elite member of the Adobe MaD Learning Resources Advisory Group, I helped design and write the certification program for Flash Lite 2, including test questions, and all the associated R&D for code examples.
- Shared Objects Tutorial for Flash enabled Mobile Devices
Mobile & Device Platform Evangelism
I worked heavily with Adobe and its internal Mobile team to help promote the Flash Platform across a range devices, and was an early pioneer in the evolution of Macromedia (i.e. now Adobe Corporation) Flash Lite, and later Flash across mobile devices.
In addition to countless user group and conference presentations, I also lead many workshops and technical training workshops at various corporations.
During my early years of mobile development from 2005 to 2009, I was highly engaged in the Adobe Flash Community. I was also hired as a consultant on behalf of Adobe and its Mobile and Device partners, worldwide, to help train professionals on mobile and device development.
The following are some of the recorded project opportunities I was part of during that time:
- Lexmark Flash Training -- I was hired as a consultant by Lexmark to both help train their staff and consult on their software design for new, innovative, touch based printer user interfaces.
- Adobe Flash Lite 2 Mobile Development Training (Newton, MA) -- I taught a classroom of professionals on designing and developing mobile apps for devices (e.g. SmartPhones) using Adobe tools in the Adobe, Newton office.
- Adobe Flash Lite 2 Mobile Development Training (San Francisco) -- I taught a classroom of professionals on designing and developing mobile apps for devices (e.g. SmartPhones) using Adobe tools in the Adobe, San Francisco office.
- Workshop: Android For Flash Professionals -- a one day intensive course on developing mobile and device applications on the Android Platform using Adobe Tooling (i.e. Flash).
- Physical Computing + Android -- a one day intensive pre-conference workshop that got attendees up to speed on connecting Android to hardware devices via the ADK
- Android for Flash Professionals -- a one day intensive training day at Boston's RIAUnleashed 2010 (now FITC's webunleashed conference).
Mobile and Device Applications
This is a partial list of some of the applications and projects I created for clients and worked on over the years.
Media Types (i.e. Wallpapers, Screensavers, etc):
- Evil Panda Screensaver
- Flash on Tap Beer Themed Device Content
- Evil Eyes Wallpaper
- Falling Kanjii Characters Screensaver
- Animated Sea Creatures Wallpaper
- Ninja Mobile Phone Screensaver
- Sumo Head Wallpaper Animations
- Bitmap Cat Screensaver
- Reactive Sun Mobile Phone Clock Screensaver
- Alien Invasion Mobile Phone Screensaver
- Adobe Product Logo Screensaver
- Purple Creature Animation Screensaver
- X-mas Tree Screensaver
- Generative Art Screensavers
- Analog Clock Wallpaper/Screensaver
- HYPE + litl webbook -- an example of a generative framework with sound on the litl webbook
- Stackr -- a casual mobile game of timing and reaction.
- Suduko -- a classic game of Suduko created for a Korean OEM.
- "Falling Balls" prototype game -- a port made for Keith Peter's who came up with the original game idea.
- Bill and James Hot Sauce Throw Down! -- a fun, animated, "button masher" game.
- Alien Invasion -- a game created for the iRiver U10/Clix PMP.
- Slot Machine -- one of the earliest pieces of mobile content I created (circa 2004).
- Pong Game -- developed as a Chumby widget.
- Bomb Diffuse Puzzle Game -- developed for the Chumby platform.
- BlackJack game -- ported to the Chumby platform.
- Candle Lite -- a simple animation of a candle for the Chumby platform.
- Cloud Clock -- a basic clock for the Chumby platform.
- Snake! -- a classic game of "snake" game created for Chumby.
- Bubble Wrap Toy -- a virtual bubble wrap toy for Chumby.
- Tropical Water widget -- tropical water scene background for Chumby.
- ThinkGeek.com widget -- ThinkGeek.com product viewing widget for Chumby.
- Forget Me Not Mobile Game -- simple "Simon Says", match colors and shapes game.
- Alien Invasion -- a simple "shoot'em" up game created for legacy Nokia devices.
- Urban Interactive Mixed Reality Game -- helped with design and user interface for the early prototype of this game, before it went to Android and iOS.
Other Mobile Applications:
- Magic 8-Ball App -- a demo written for Adobe during their beta testing of a cross compiler for Android & iOS devices
- WSJ news app -- helped create an early financial application for the Wall Street Journal.
- Flash on the Beach '08 Mobile Guide
- BFPUG news app
- Spark Conference Guide app
- Ski Report widget
- Chumby API widget
- Chumby RSS widget
- FITC 2005 mobile conference guide app
- photo-gallery-mobile-app">Photo Gallery App
- FishTank and FPS Monitor Statistics Tool -- loaded apps for their premier PMP; the viliv p1.
- AARP News Widget
- OpenPeak -- mobile and device consultation for this OEM.
- Species Explorer Mobile App
- Burger King M-Commerce Mobile App Prototype
- BackSpace Channel for litl
- E-Learning Game Device for Kids -- helped a toy company with a device.
- Bobble Head -- a fun piece of experimental content to gauge speed to market to the Android Store, as well as performance for a cross compiler.
From 2005 to 2010, I held many certifications around Mobile Development including:
- Adobe Community Professional
- Adobe Community Expert - Mobile & Devices
- Adobe Certified Mobile Developer
- Adobe Certified Training Instructor (in Mobile)
- Qualcomm Authorized BREW Developer
Some of the mobile specific clients I worked with over the years have been: Macromedia, Adobe Corporation, Nokia, Max Media, T-Mobile, litl, AARP, Lexmark, Qualcomm, and more to be posted soon, here.
For more information about my mobile and device work, please contact me directly.